Bianca Maria Colosimo is Full Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of Politecnico di Milano, the first Engineering school in Italy, ranked among the top 20 universities worldwide in Engineering and Technology (QS world Ranking- 2022).
She received her MSc and PhD in Industrial Engineering from Politecnico di Milano. After her PhD, she spent a visiting period as PostPhD at the Pennsylvania State University (PSU).
Her main research interest is in the area of big data mining, modeling and monitoring for advanced manufacturing processes (additive manufacturing and bioprinting, among all) to foster the twin (digital and green) transition. On these topics, she is author of 150+ peer-reviewed contributions, most of them published in peer-reviewed international journals and books.
Since 2020, she is Senior Editor of the Informs Journal of Data Science, Department Editor of IISE Transactions, Associate Editor of Progress in Additive Manufacturing and Additive Manufacturing Letters. She is member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Quality Technology, where she served as Editor-in-Chief from 2019 to 2021.
She is co-leading the research laboratory AddMe Lab (link) and the 3D Cell lab, two leading labs on Additive Manufacturing and 3D bioprinting.
Some recent awards:
- 2023 George Box Medal Award - awarded annually by the European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics (ENBIS) in recognition of outstanding work in the development and the application of statistical methods in European business and industry.
- 2023 Award from the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences – The Jacob Wallenbergs Foundation Award for Research and Development in the field of Material Science and Manufacturing..
- 2023 ASQ Brumbaugh Award (American Society for Quality) for the paper "Complex Geometries in Additive Manufacturing: A New Solution For Lattice Structure Modeling And Monitoring" published on the Journal of Quality Technology 2022
- 2023 – awarded as International Process Engineer Powder Bed- Fusion Laser Beam (I MAM PE PBF-LB) by European Welding Foundation (EWF)
- Included among the top 100 Italian woman scientists in STEM