Federico Cheli has become in 2000 professor in Applied Mechanics at the Politecnico di Milano. Scientific activity is carried out in the field of dynamics, stability and control of mechanical systems including:
- dynamics and aerodynamics of rail and road vehicles
- hybrid / electric vehicles
- vehicle active control (ADAS)
- connected and autonomous vehicles.
The activity has given more than 450 scientific publications in national / international journals and conferences.
Member of the editorial board of international journals and reviewer of many journals.
Responsible for the Road Vehicle Dynamics research group of the Department of Mechanics.
He is part of the committee of the interdepartmental laboratory I_DRIVE.
He has been responsible for research contracts between Politecnico di Milano and rail and road private companies
He is currently teaching:
- "Mechanics of Vibrations" Mechanical Engineering bachelor
- "Vehichle Dynamics and Control" Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Member of the PHD COLLEGE in Mechanical Engineering: MULTIBODY SYSTEM DYNAMICS course coordinator.
Responsible for Team Dynamis PRC (Formula SAE championship)
Author of several books including:
- F. Cheli, E. Pennestrì: Kinematics and dynamics of multi-body systems, Ambrosiana Publishing House, 2009
- F. Cheli, G. Diana: Advanced Dynamic of Mechanical Systems, Springer editor, 2016.
He was member ans President of the Board of GMA.
Member of the Scientific Committee of the Silvio Tronchetti Provera Foundation.
He was member of the Board of Directors of the Politecnico di Milano Foundation.
Resident Correspondent Shareholder of the Istituto Lombardo della Accademia di Scienze e Lettere.
Co-founder of E_CO spin off and co-author of many patents.
He has had the scientific responsibility for international and national research projects including; TROWS, WEATHER, SPURT, TECNOBIM, TEXTRA, Safer Helmet, TEINVEIN, 5G trial in the Milan metropolitan area, Joint Research Laboratory of the Politecnico di Milano for autonomous, connected and electric urban mobility, EMotion project, BASE-5G.